Children are born free and thus have their fundamental rights, which are being violated almost in every part of the globe. My country Pakistan is also facing the problem of ever increasing child labor. The morning of many children in Pakistan does not start with the preparations for going to school. Sadly, they are send to kiln-owners,carpet manufacturers,motor mechanics etc. Here innocent children are usually abused by their owners despite religious, legal and moral restrictions.
Poverty,unbridled inflation,unemployment are the major reasons for the increase in child labor. In accordance to the survey carried out by the Manpower pakistan(2007-2008) 21 million children of age group 10-14 are working in various sectors. Moreover, according to the statistical data collected by the far eastern economic review the number of child laborers in Pakistan is 19 million. Parents due to poverty put their children to work instead of sending them to schools. Parents are of the point of view that their children support them financially by earning a living. The economic and family status in the rural areas of Pakistan is quite low and as a result children are forced to work in various manufacturing and tertiary industries and are also over-exploited. 61.2 % of Pakistan is illiterate and poor education resulting in limited exposure to human rights is a major cause of child labor. The economic and family status in the rural areas of Pakistan is quite low and as a result children are forced to work in various manufacturing and tertiary industries and are also over-exploited. 61.2 % of Pakistan is illiterate and poor education resulting in limited exposure to human rights is a major cause of child labor Furthermore, a children in rural areas have almost no access to education and so learn the tricks of trade from their parents and end up being laborers. In Pakistan there is to much of focus on class divisions and status and so the rich and middle class families heir poor children as domestic servants. child labor is preferred because it is cheap as children demand less wages. Secondly, children are efficient and can be trained easily. Thirdly, they are easy to manage. Pakistan is going through a serious social stratification problem and the rich continues to get richer whereas the poor continues to get poorer. Girls are exploited within the rich households, are paid less and are often physically harassed by the male owners.
The dire need is to eliminate child labor from Pakistan. Some practical suggestions and steps that can help in overcoming child labor not only from Pakistan but from every part of the globe are listed below:
- A fair and well integrated policy package should be designed and implemented so as to improve the education(better literacy programs, free primary and secondary education).
- A well-knit employment program should be implemented which should focus on schemes for poor households.
- A massive awareness program against child labor should be started in both the the rural and urban areas of the country.
- NGOs should play their effective role by carrying out campaigns in schools,colleges and universities. They should in cooperation with the government open new free schools and shelter homes for children.
- Media should play its fair role by unveiling the the violation of children who are forced into child labor.
- The judiciary should take action against child labor.
- counseling centers should be established country wide for children where they should be given knowledge on forced child labor and its consequences.